What’s a better pairing than strawberry and rhubarb? Sweet and tangy, and both ready at the same hopeful time of year – Spring! This seasonal recipe helps you celebrate the return to sun and fresh produce in delightful, high-fiber cookies. An extra bonus? They’re egg-free and very easy to modify to vegan with your favorite plant-based milk!
Here I place my pledge to never make you scroll through 24 paragraphs about what I did the day I first made this recipe, 14 variations on the recipe, and how this was my grandmother’s sister’s favorite food. You will find the recipe directly below. Happy cooking!
Strawberry Rhubarb Cookies
- 1 cup 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup oats
- 2/3 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup fat free milk substitute plant milk for a vegan recipe
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberries stemmed and diced
- 1/2 cup rhubarb sliced into 1/4" slices
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- In a large bowl, mix flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and chia seeds until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Stir wet ingredients in to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in diced strawberries and sliced rhubarb.
- Place in 2 Tbsp dollops on a cookie sheet 2" apart. Bake for 22-25 mins or until center is no longer gooey.